Autism Inclusion Program
In 2010, the Autism Inclusion Program began at Camp Loughridge. The mission of this program is to open up the camping experience to a group of children who were traditionally left out of summer camp programs due to the need for additional understanding of the disorder as well as the need for specially trained summer camp counselors.
For the pilot program Camp Loughridge partnered with the Autism Center of Tulsa for support and training. Counselors are trained to assist the campers with Autism, integrate into our general camper population. The success of the program has led to a growing group of campers being served at camp. The initial year of the program served 16 campers in the 8 one week sessions. In 2014 up to 28 campers with Autism will be able to experience camp with a one on one counselor buddy.
Specifics about the program:
- Online registration for the Autism Inclusion Program is not available. To enroll in the program download the Autism Inclusion Registration Packet here.
- All summer counselors take part in Autism 101 training in order to bring awareness to the characteristics of campers with Autism. This training provides information for counselors that will be buddies and for counselors that will be asked questions by inquisitive campers regarding campers with Autism.
- One on One buddies receive additional training in: communication, social skills inclusion, activity modification, sports participation, safety and reducing risk, visual supports, requesting and taking breaks, positive behavior supports, and motivation.
- Our goal is to enhance rather than to interfere with each camper’s experience. We use staff support, visual schedules, written agendas, prompting, modeling, positive reinforcement, and modified verbal communication as needed.
- Space is limited to 4 campers with Autism per Session. Space is filled on a first come first served basis.
- If needed a scholarship form is included in the Autism application.
- Please check the other Summer Camp pages for more information on schedules, staffing information and more FAQs. If you have further questions please contact camp at 918-446-4194 or e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
To enroll in the program please download and complete the Autism Inclusion forms.